The Fault in Our Stars Book Review

Monday, April 20, 2015

WARNING: This may contain just a few spoilers about the book ;)

Sometime this weekend, I finished reading The Fault in Our Stars while in Seattle. In case you don't already know, The Fault in Our Stars is a very popular book by John Green about cancer patients who fall in love, it's known for being extremely depressing. (I haven't seen the movie yet, thanks for asking) But overall, this is a pretty good book- the plot and all is just great. This has been on my reading list for a while now, so after I finished The Deathly Hallows, I picked up a copy of The Fault in Our Stars from the library on Monday. I kid you not, this book is so good that I had to slow myself down from reading because I didn't want to finish it all in one night. Here's what I thought-

First of all, this book isn't as depressing as people make it. Yes, many people die. From cancer. I'm not saying who, though- I don't like giving big spoilers. Seriously, I've read sadder books than this, and if you don't believe me, go get yourself a copy of So B. It by Sarah Weeks. But this book is pretty sad- only sad enough to make me bawl my eyes out for a half hour, though. 

Secondly, the characters in this book are just the best. Hazel is someone who never cries, likes to read, is hard to comfort, doesn't care about how she looks, oh, and her lungs suck at being lungs (she has lung cancer). Augustus is someone who is attractive and he knows it, NEC for a few years, and totally romantic. Hazel's dad cries a lot, and Hazel is obsessed with watching ANTM; and it's all bonded together to take place in Indiana. 

Finally, the plot of the story is how Hazel and Augustus eventually bond over the book An Imperial Affliction by Peter Van Houten. Unfortunately, their favorite author lives in Amsterdam, so Gus takes Hazel to Amsterdam, has a romantic time with her, and meets the one and only Peter Van Houten- but he's an alcoholic jerk, and I don't want to tell you whatever happens next in the story.

Well, what do you think? If you've read the book, do you agree with my review? If you haven't read the book, does this tempt you to go read it? If you have only watched the movie and are too lazy to go read the book, it's a very small book that won't take you more than a few days. I enjoyed it a lot- now I'm reading Counting by 7's, so be prepared for a review on that! :) Thanks for reading. 

xx Savannah

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs