DIY Craft Supply Organization

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

I recently went to Michael's and did a huge craft haul, which you can read all about here, and that resulted in me having to tidy and organize my room/studio in order to make room for ALL THE BEAUTIFUL THINGS I BOUGHT. Beforehand, I cleaned out under my easel, which I have grown accustomed to stuffing random things under and making a big mess. I cleaned out my drawers of my desk, moving things around, putting most of everything in my closet. Anyhow, in the end, I had SO much more room for my upcoming haul of everything ART. I brought back more than intended, but still luckily had a place for everything. Here are a few ideas for your own art & craft supplies- I hope this sparks a bit of inspiration~

Ben & Jerry's Core Flavors - New Ben & Jerry's Flavors - Good Housekeeping
First, and I've been thinking about this for a while, use a big wooden crate for certain things. You probably don't have one on hand, nor the energy to make one of your own, so it's a good thing Michael's has a wide selection in all sizes. I didn't get a big one, though I'm saving that for my next trip, but I did snag a fairly small one for less than $2 and it's the cutest thing ever. I put my chalkboard markers in it, and it's the perfect size for so many things. I really want to go back for a larger one to hold random things from around my room- pillows, books, sketchpads, stuffed animals, etc. This option is just so simple, and if you buy a few, you can even make this DIY wood crate bookcase great for art supplies (or even shoes?) made by The Pleated Poppy. I love this idea, and it's SOO easy!

painted and distressed mason jars in teal with hand painted daisiesThe cheapest and most obvious one of all- thrift store mugs. They don't cost more than a dollar, usually their pretty cool, and you can do anything with them. Use one or two for paintbrushes, maybe one for pencils, colored pencils, a couple for Copics, they're really great for anything. But if that idea really doesn't appeal to you, a cute alternative is Mason jars. Yes, you've seen them all over Pinterest, and they're probably in your cupboard right now. I use them to hold my gel pens, and my Sharpies, and my fineliners, and everything else because we make a lot of jam so the jars that don't have lids are stuffed in the cupboard to die. Unless I grab a pretty one to hold my things. Go ahead and search Pinterest for "Mason Jar Crafts"- it's ENDLESS!!!

20 Awesome Upcycled Projects - The Happy HousieUse an old TOOLBOX for crying out loud!  It's cute, it's portable, and it's customizable. Plus, and I just came up with this, you can write "CREATIVE TOOLS on it. Paint it pink, paint it green, do whatever- make it glow in the dark, make it metallic, do anything you want! This is great for kids art supplies or maybe just your art supplies. Depending on the size, add coloring books, sketchbooks, markers, crayons, composition books, etc. 

And finally, you guys have all heard of the cardboard and TP tubes organized thingamajig that you can stick on a lazy susan and anyone can make one and here's a really cool tutorial by SoCraftastic that you will LOVE. Try it out and tell me what you think!

I hope this will help you to tackle the mess that is art & craft supplies, but if it doesn't, then maybe you just have way to much. And that's okay because I understand and I am also a creative hoarder. I wan tot art so bad right now... and watch Youtube.... and cuddle all three cats around me right now. Thanks for reading!

xx Savannah

 

 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs