How to Improve Your Handwriting

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Handwriting is one of the things about myself that I'm always wanting to improve and overall make a whole lot better. I feel like your handwriting can say a lot about your personality; for example, if you write sloppily, it could either mean that you couldn't care less or you're extremely creative and can't get all those ideas out of your head fast enough. Luckily, I have lots of room for practice, considering writing is an every day routine for me and on a daily basis I end up changing up how I write. It sort of all depends on what I'm writing- if I'm writing a grocery list, for example, it might turn out pretty neat because someone is going to have to read it sooner or later. But, if I'm writing a story or something in my journal, it's bound to be sloppier than ever, because my ideas just won't come out fast enough. In today's post, I'm gonna tell you how to improve your overall handwriting if you don't like how it looks. 

-First, I would recommend getting a notebook or notepad or even just a small journal for you to use for practicing your handwriting. If there's a journal already in use, it'll work just fine; you really do not need an entire notebook, in my opinion. It can be some printer paper in a folder, for all it matters, all you need is some paper and something to write with. 

-You'll want to try out some different styles, which means you should try to mimic a few of your favorite fonts. Not real complicated ones, just a few simple ones that look like someone's normal handwriting (someone who writes legibally, preferably). Try these out first to see if there's one in particular that you like. 

-You'll need to write these out, and there are so many ways to do that. Start out with writing the alphabet, capital and lowercase letters both. Once you get sick of that kindergarten work, move on to some sentences that happen to contain every letter of the alphabet. A personal favorite and classic of mine is "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog", so you could try that, but I suppose you could Google a few others if you don't fancy mine. 

DIY Journals; saving me money...-Don't forget to vary it! Mix in lowercase letters with uppercase letters, write in all lowercase or all uppercase, maybe there's a certain way you like to draw your Y's- then find a way to incorporate that into your handwriting!!

-Most important of all, work with different tools. You really don't have to go all out an buy some fancy pens and artist pencils because whatever you have on hand will work just fine. Sharpies, ball point pens, inkjet pens, Copics, brush-tipped pens, markers, pencils, etc. This is one of the funnest parts of improving your handwriting, because it allows you to experiment, and experimentation is the art of success!

-*OPTIONAL* If you can, head on over to your local library, or go online, and try to find a book of fonts and such to inspire you. Amazon has a few, and they can seriously spark something that may change your whole path. I highly recommend this step, but it is completely optional and it's all up to you. Remember, none of these steps are fullproof, so refer to me as the complete guide! Look around, try different sites and posts. 

So, I hope you have fin trying to improve your handwriting, tell me in the comments below if this worked for you (I'll be overjoyed if it does!!!). But just remember- smarter people generally write sloppier, so maybe you're just a genius. Thanks for reading!

xx Savannah

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs